Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Milestones

runner

This week I lost one pound.  One pound.  This seems scientifically impossible considering the amount of calories I burned on my workouts, but there it is.  That brings my total to 42 pounds in 16 weeks. 

However, even though the scale did not reflect a big change this week, my body is changing.  The 30-Day Shred is definitely helping me build muscle, and I am losing inches.  I felt better after reading this article

So, I will keep trucking on.  I’ll keep my eyes on the big picture and try not to let the scale be the only measure of my success.  After all, I’m working on a permanent change in my eating and fitness habits, not just a temporary crash swimsuit diet. 

I have a busier week coming up, but I should be able to get my 20 minute workout with Jillian every day.  My goal is to get in at least four treadmill workouts, too.

3 comments:

Kim H. said...

I know that level of frustration with the scale... I've been there so many days. Hang in there though - the inches are the most important part!! :-)

Sarah said...

This is the most frustrating part of adding weights to working out, but it is definetly worth it. When this happened to me, I read an article online that said your body has to adjust to adding weights and building muscle. Once your body does this, the scale will drop more. I saw Ali from the Biggest Loser say she has actually gained pounds after leaving the show because of all the muscle she has built but lost inches. It is abundantly frustrating though! I actually get butterflies in my stomach when I step on the scale for fear of what it will say. You are doing a great job!!

Joanna J. said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Kim. It's nice to know I'm on the right track.

Sarah, thanks for sharing your experience. You've actually been a motivation for me because you have made changes and really stuck with it. You look very fit and healthy. I will happily listen to any advice or wisdom you can share when I see you in June!