Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kirk Cameron


Today was a special Sunday at our church. The guest speaker was Kirk Cameron from "Growing Pains." I'll admit that I have never seen an episode of Growing Pains in my life....I was more of a Family Ties/The Cosby Show kind of 80's girl. Anyway, I'm usually not too excited about celebrities that try to "preach", but today's worship service was incredible.

Kirk's testimony is powerful. As a teenager starring on a hit TV show, he was an atheist. He had a deep interest in science and math, and he began to question the theory of intelligent design. He found it difficult to believe that the intricate and complicated systems of life were just an accident. He began to date a girl who was a church-going Christian, and through the church's ministry began to learn about the Creator. He was convicted of his sinfulness and amazed by the grace of God to send His son to die on the cross for our sins. He is now married and has six children. And, he is using his gifts and talents as an actor to spread the Gospel of Christ through various projects and his new release movie called "Fireproof."

I am one of the first people to complain about the trashy movies that come out of Hollywood, so I feel it is important for me to show my support for "Fireproof" by making sure we see it in the theaters. Hollywood needs to know that there is a demand for this type of movie. I encourage all Christians to go see it in the theaters.

Kirk's message today was powerful and full of the message of salvation. I'm glad to know that there is someone like him in Hollywood....unafraid to speak of the mercy of God towards sinners in need of a Saviour. I hope that God uses Kirk and his new movie to spread the Good News to a large audience.

No comments: