Monday, September 8, 2008

Homemade Shampoo


I recently came upon a recipe for homemade herbal hair shampoo. It sounded interesting, so I headed to my local health food store to buy the ingredients. I spent $4.89 on herbs that will make approximately 12-15 huge recipes of the shampoo. Saturday night the potent smell of peppermint and spearmint filled the air as I cooked the concoction on my stove. Sunday morning I thorougly enjoyed using the shampoo....the herbal essence made my scalp tingle, feeling cool and clean. Here's the recipe:


Herbal Hair Shampoo

2 T peppermint leaf
2 T spearmint leaf
2 t. sage leaf
2/3 c. clear unscented shampoo (I used .99 Suave Clarifying Shampoo from Dollar General)

In small saucepan on the stove, bring 1 c. water and herbs to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes. Strain mixture and add clean herbal liquid to 2/3 c. shampoo. Stir together and pour into container or spray bottle.

***I found this recipe to be a little bit thin. Next time I make it, I will add some additional shampoo to thicken it up.***

I am also going to experiment with adding in some conditioner to make an all-in-one product that will save time in the shower. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: