Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Treat for Todd

I usually don't make dessert for just our family, but my husband specifically requested pudding a while back. I remembered his request today when I saw a recipe for homemade pudding. I have never made homemade pudding....when I have needed pudding in the past, I have gone for the trusty box variety. Because my hubby has been working so hard at band camp, I made him a treat. It was absolutely delicious! Here's the recipe:

1 c. pretzels, lightly crushed
3 T butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar, plus 2 T
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 T cornstarch
2 c. milk (I used 2%)
1 egg
1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil, gently toss pretzels with melted butter and 2 T sugar. Bake until sugar melts and crystalizes on pretzels, about 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Form a well in the center and slowly whisk in milk over medium heat. This helps prevent the cornstarch from clumping. Bring mixture to a boil to thicken. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk a little of the milk mixture into the egg to temper. Add egg mixture to the pot of milk. Heat over low until mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency, about 3 minutes. Mix in chips until melted and combined well. Pour pudding into ramekins or 2 qt. serving dish and chill at least 1 hour. To serve, top with pretzels.

This was an easy recipe and I had all the ingredients on hand. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!

No comments: