Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Toys R Us Trip

Today Grace and I went to Toys R Us to use a gift card that Grace received last Christmas. (I totally forgot about it until I cleaned out my wallet this afternoon). We had a good time walking around the store and looking at everything. She decided on a tea set and a miniature car seat for her baby doll.

While we were standing in line, there was a little boy in front of us with his mother. The little boy was picking up candy and begging his mom to buy it for him. She totally ignored him at first, then kept on telling him to put the candy back on the shelf. This eventually resulted in a meltdown with limbs flailing and piercing screaming. Grace watched this whole scene with her eyes wide and her mouth literally hanging open. Just when the little boy started to quiet down a little, Grace dramatically pointed her finger and said in a voice loud enough for everyone at the front of the store to hear, "Mama! He didn't obey his mama! He needs a spanking RIGHT NOW!" The mom pretended not to hear while everyone else around us chuckled. I felt sorry for her because she was frazzled and had no idea how to handle her son other than jerking him around and acting annoyed.

When we got to the car, Grace and I had a "talk" about what she said. I told her that she cannot say when someone needs a spanking because that is a mommy and daddy's job to decide. She needs to just think about if SHE is obeying mommy and daddy. I really don't want her to grow up to be a tattletale like I was at her age (sorry Josh!).

Everyone who is a parent has had to deal with behaviors in our own children like the little boy at the store. All children are born with a sinful nature, concerned only about satisfying the desires of the heart. Todd and I feel that it is our job as parents to discipline Grace and instruct her in the ways of the Lord. One of the best books that I have read on this subject is "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Dr. Tedd Tripp. Another good book is "Withhold Not Correction" by Bruce Ray.

Grace certainly is not always obedient by any stretch of the imagination. However, I hope that our discipline and instruction is setting the foundation for Grace to one day accept Christ as her Lord and Savior. This is our biggest prayer for her.

No comments: