Monday, August 18, 2008

Friendship


Today I reconnected with an old high school friend that I have not seen since our graduation over 16 years ago. It's funny how friendships survive the test of time when two people share similar values. Even though we haven't seen each other in so long, we easily fell into conversations about personal and spiritual matters. I believe that God brought us together today to be an encouragement to each other.

My best friend is my husband, Todd, and I am thankful that he encourages me to maintain and make new friendships with other women. While nothing can compare to the level of sharing and emotional intimacy within a marriage, I feel that it is important for to women to have female companionship as well. Let's face it, most men just don't enjoy talking about recipes, potty training, female health issues, decorating, or fashion! I know it's a cliche, but sometimes it is nice to talk with someone who truly "understands."

I am also thankful that God has given me friendships with "more mature" women who can be a mentor to me about my roles as wife and mother. (Love you, Joy T.!) There is something to be said for talking and praying with a woman who can give wisdom and perspective to my challenges.

I want to encourage you to pick up the phone and call a friend this week. Invite her over for lunch, or meet for a playdate with your kids. Like my friend was for me today, perhaps you will be an instrument of encouragement to your friend when she needs it the most.

No comments: