Thursday, October 2, 2008

That's MY Mommy!

This morning I was reading books to Grace and the 3-yr-old boy that I babysit (I'll call him Caleb). Anyway, Caleb climbed in my lap and settled down for a long story. Grace's defenses immediately went into overdrive as she exclaimed, "No! That's MY mommy!" She proceeded to climb in my lab and elbow Caleb out of the way.

Needless to say, she just isn't used to sharing me. I calmly told her that it was OK for Caleb to sit in my lap because he was our friend and Mama's lap can be shared. In her best drama queen fashion, she exclaimed, "But Mama, I'm YOUR DAUGHTER!!!" To which Caleb replied, "Yeah, but she's MY JOJO!!"

I thought back to my recent recommitment to "train in righteousness." I reminded them that God commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Grace and Caleb are neighbors. They are to want what is best for each other. I told Grace that since she gets to sit in my lap all the time, she should be happy to see that Caleb enjoys that as much as she does. In the end, Grace let Caleb have the "prime lap position" while she sat next to me and held on to my arm for dear life.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

These blogs are great! I expecially love "thank you for chuck-e-cheese!" Beautiful.... where is todd principal?