Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sunday Afternoon

Todd is taking Grace fishing again this evening since she enjoyed it so much yesterday. It gives me a chance to rest and catch up on my blogging. I tell you, this blogging can become addictive. I really have to limit myself, because I could start stalking lots of interesting blogs if I had nothing better to do. I try to read/write blogs just when Grace is asleep or otherwise occupied. But, I'll admit I often find myself wandering to my laptop then forcing myself to turn around and do the dishes!

I've added an activity to my Sunday afternoon schedule that seems to make the "resting" part of my Sundays a lot shorter now. A few weeks ago I auditioned for a contemporary adult musical vocal ensemble at my church, and I made it! I was actually surprised I made it, and so far it has been a lot of fun. I've never been a huge fan of contemporary praise music in the church, but this group thoughtfully chooses songs that are worshipful and doctrinally sound. The group sings occasionally during the morning worship service as a "special", but mostly at community events and special concerts. Our director is even looking at taking a mission trip this year somewhere close by, so it'll be fun to see where that will lead me.

Todd thoughtfully took Grace fishing so I could get a cake in the oven. Tomorrow is a school holiday for Todd's students, but he must attend staff development. To make it more bearable, the staff is having a huge potluck lunch, and Todd was asked to bring a dessert. I can smell my Cream Cheese-Coconut-Pecan Pound Cake in the oven right now. Paula Deen would be proud that it contains three, yes THREE, sticks of butter. Just for fun I'll include the recipe below. If you don't keep bourbon on hand, you can substitute milk.

Cream Cheese-Coconut-Pecan Pound Cake

1 1/2 c. butter, softened
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 c. sugar
6 large eggs
3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. bourbon
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 c. coconut, shredded

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just the yellow disappears. Sift together flour and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with bourbon, beginning and ending with flour. Beat batter at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, pecans, and coconut. Pour batter into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 35 minutes until done. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

*Garnish with powdered sugar glaze and shredded coconut.

Southern Living 2007

2 comments:

Mrs. Sprinkles said...

Wow. That sounds so good! Forgive my ignorance, but what is a tube pan?

Joanna J. said...

Hello Mrs. Sprinkles,

This recipe makes a HUGE amount of batter, even more than would fit into my tube pan. Another name for it is bundt pan....it is a large, doughnut-shaped cake pan with a hole in the middle. (I'll send you a pic to your e-mail). Since I had some extra batter, I filled a miniature bundt pan that I had, which enabled me to sample the goods before sending off the cake. This is my new favorite cake...incredibly moist and delicious. It's perfect for a luncheon, party, or BBQ. I hope you enjoy it!