Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Importance of Seasoning


Everything I learned about cooking I learned from my mom's kitchen and the Food Network. One of the most important lessons I have learned is the importance of seasoning every layer when cooking.

I have often given away recipes for chilis, soup, stews, and casseroles. More than once, a friend has come back and told me it was good, it just wasn't as good as when I made it. This isn't because I have some sort of magical powers or heavenly gift of cooking! I honestly believe it's because my friends weren't seasoning every layer when assembling the dishes.

I'll use the following recipe as an example....this is what I put in the crockpot for dinner tonight. Mom came up with this copycat recipe after eating the soup at Olive Garden. I revised it slightly to make it in the crock pot.

Pasta e Fagioli (a la Olive Garden)

2 tbsp. EVOO
1 to 1 ½ pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can Kidney Beans, washed and drained
1 can Garbanzo Beans, washed and drained
1 can Pinto Beans, washed and drained
1 cup macaroni noodles, uncooked
4-6 c. beef broth
1/2 tsp dry basil
Salt
Black pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese (garnish)
Fresh basil (garnish)
 
Heat oil in large saucepan; add beef and saute’ until pink is almost gone; season. Add onion and garlic; season. Saute for a few more minutes until beef is cooked through and onions are tender; drain off excess oil. Empty all three cans of beans into colander; rinse and drain. Combine beef mixture, beans, tomatoes, uncooked macaroni, and beef broth into crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, and dried basil. Heat on LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve garnished with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.

When I say "season", I mean salt and pepper. I suggest keeping a small bowl of kosher salt and a fresh pepper grinder in your kitchen by the stove. I don't measure things exactly....I use the Rachel Ray method. A good rule of thumb is once around the pot with a good-sized pinch of salt (about 1/2 t. for Type A personalities) and 5-8 grinds of the pepper mill.

Every time you add a new layer of ingredients, you add a new layer of seasoning. In this case, I would season the ground beef, season again after I add the onions/garlic, and season again after combining all ingredients in the crock pot. This method of seasoning allows each ingredient to fully develop it's flavor within the dish. I'm telling you....IT WORKS!

No comments: