Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Marvelous Salad


Last night, I attended the Ladies Night Out dinner at my church. It was a great event and a sweet time of fellowship. I saw old friends, met new friends, and spent time with lots of wise ladies.

The dinner was delicious, too. We had parmesan-coated chicken with broccoli salad and wild rice. This was the first time for me to eat broccoli salad....I wasn't too excited at first because it was RAW broccoli. I have just never enjoyed the consistency of raw florets. However, this was a DELICIOUS salad. I enjoyed every morsel and wanted more.

Does anyone out there have a recipe for broccoli salad? It had purple onions, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and other things that I couldn't identify in the low lighting. (maybe raisins?) Anyway, the dressing was light and slightly sweet. I searched the internet and found several recipes, but I wonder if anyone out there has a tried-and-true recipe they can recommend?

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I have 3 delicious broccoli salad recipes. I think that this is the one you want:
6 stalks fresh broccoli
10 slices bacon, cooked crisp
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. salad vinegar

Peel broccoli; cut florets and stalks into bite-size pieces. Add crumbled bacon, onions and seeds. To make dressing, blend mayo, sugar and vinegar. Mix with salad in bowl and chill for 1 hour or longer.

Here's another one:

1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 ½ lb. fresh broccoli florets, chopped (or 2 (12 0z.) pkg. broccoli slaw)
¼ cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup dried cranberries
4 cooked bacon slices, crumbled

1. Roast chopped pecans in single layer in shallow pan at 350* for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Mix mayo, sugar & vinegar; add broccoli, onion and cranberries. Cover and chill 2 hours. Sprinkle with bacon and pecans just before serving.

Southern Living 5/07

Joanna J. said...

I think the first recipe is the one I'm looking for. I remember now that there were sunflower seeds in the serving I ate last night. I can't wait to make it! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This has always been one my favorites that Tanna does. Every Wed at church supper I used to always ask for that in place of another veggie. (it was always on the salad bar) I miss it on my diet. I should try to make a close sub.

Natalie said...

i got nothing on the broccoli salad. sorry.

i am over to your blog from your comment on rocks in my dryer. my daughter, Kirstyn, is about to turn 5 and she has an egg allergy. we were told that she would out grow it too. hers has gotten better with time but not like we thought it would. kirstyn wears a tag at church that says no eggs and i had to have them update it to list: no homemade baked goods, no vanilla wafers, etc because people just don't get it! anyway, i also just realized that we live very close together...i am in arlington. so, nice to meet you!!! stop by my blog if you get a chance.