Monday, February 2, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

009

I’ve completed my first week of my new eating plan, and it’s actually been fun.  Especially when I stepped on the scales this morning and saw that I had dropped 3.5 pounds this week. 

I went to the store this weekend and bought fresh meat and produce for the week.  For myself, I bought my favorite fruits and vegetables to supplement my program entree/shakes.  For Todd and Grace, I bought pork chops, chicken breasts, and ground beef.  For their meals, I will cook a portion of meat and serve it alongside my fruits/vegetables.  I also keep a stock of frozen dinner rolls/Texas toast that they enjoy eating. 

Those of you who know me know that I LOVE to cook, so I’ve been trying to get creative with my veggie side dishes.  Today I’ll share my Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup recipe that I made yesterday as a side.  I made up this recipe, and it worked pretty well.  And it’s completely GUILT-FREE.  It doesn’t make a large portion…just enough for 3-4 servings.

Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup

  • 3 large beefsteak tomatoes
  • 1/2 purple onion
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups broth or stock (chicken or veggie)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 t. basil
  • Cooking spray (Pam)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray foil with cooking spray.  Cut tomatoes and onions into large chunks and put on sheet; add garlic cloves (unpeeled).  Give another light coating of cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until veggies are tender and slightly caramelized.  Transfer veggies to soup pot (you will need to squeeze roasted garlic out of peel).  Add tomato sauce, broth, and basil.  Use immersion blender to blend to smooth consistency.  (If you don’t have this handy gadget, just puree in blender or food processor).  Enjoy!

No comments: