Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some Things I’ve Learned This Week

This is the first week of my new eating plan.  I’m not using the “d” word, because it sets me up for failure psychologically!  You can read more about it here.  I’m eating differently and loving it.  So far, so good.  This is just the beginning of my journey, but I’ve already learned some good lessons this week including:

1.  Food doesn’t have to be unhealthy to be delicious.

I’ve eaten delicious food this week.  There are no restrictions on spices or most condiments, so my food is still very flavorful.  My weakness is french fries.  They taste better to me than anything, including chocolate.  Thankfully, there is a very easy and healthful way to satisfy this craving.  I take a small potato and cut it into thin slices (like big potato chips).  I lay them on a baking sheet and spray lightly with Pam cooking spray.  I sprinkle them liberally with grill seasoning and any other spices that strike my fancy.  Twenty minutes later after placing them under the broiler, I have crisp and delicious homemade fries.  This also works with sweet potatoes and any other vegetable I am craving (broccoli, zucchini, squash, peppers, etc.).  The key is in the seasoning.  Healthy doesn’t mean bland! 

By the way, Todd said more than once that he really enjoyed our meals this week.  That makes me happy!

2.  I can distinguish the difference between hunger and just “wanting to eat.”

This week, I found myself reaching for something to eat just because it was there, not because I was hungry.  (I did manage to stop myself).  For example, last Monday we had a play date with a sweet friend at McDonald’s.  I ordered Grace her usual cheeseburger Happy Meal.  I brought my own lunch…low-calorie entree, apple, and snack bar.  When we were finished and cleaning off the table, I realized that before I would have finished off Grace’s 1/2 cheeseburger and handful of fries.  Instead, I wrapped up her uneaten food and saved it for her lunch the next day, saving myself about 350 calories and 15 grams of fat. 

3.  It’s not a good plan to watch the Food Network all day when you’re trying to lose weight.

Let’s face it…Paula Deen is not the best person to watch when you’re cutting calories.  (Although I do love me some Paula!)  Instead of being tempted and longing after food that I cannot have, I’ve changed my channel to HGTV or in more cases just turned the TV completely off.  I feel a little like a Food Network addict going through withdrawal. 

4.  If I’m actually hungry, I should eat.

There are plenty of wholesome, satisfying foods that I can eat if I get hungry between meals.  My particular eating plan has no restrictions on fresh fruits and vegetables.  The key is availability.  I must always keep my favorite things easy to grab for the times I am hungry.  For me, that means having apples, bananas, carrots, and grapes handy for snacking.

I’ll let you know how things continue to go for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! I'll have to start making some fries here like that...keep up the good work!

And I'm glad to hear Grace is feeling better...our little neighbor girl has the same problem.

Sarah said...

I totally agree about not watching Food Network ! My healthy snacks taste great, until I turn on and see Paula Deen making bread pudding using doughnuts. Come on, who can enjoy an apple or banana while watching that.

Joanna J. said...

Sarah, no doubt. I saw that Paula episode too. As if Krispy Kreme donuts needed any help being more unhealthy! By the way, you've been an inspiration to me. You look fabulous!