Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Milestones

runner

This week I did pretty well, especially considering it was Valentine’s Day week.  There were candies and treats all over the house, but I managed to stay on track.  I’ll admit that I took a quick detour and enjoyed one small treat, but I made sure to work off the extra calories by increasing my workout that day.

My energy levels were up this week, and I found myself exercising every day, burning a few more calories in every successive workout.  Todd set up our little TV in the study where I keep our treadmill, so I enjoyed watching my favorite shows to make the time go by faster.  Grace does a good job of entertaining herself with toys and books while I’m exercising, and she even joins with me on some of my stretches and floor work.  (Anyone ever tried doing push-ups with a preschooler on your back??)

All in all, I lost four pounds this week.  This brings my total to 10 pounds in three weeks. 

Some of you have e-mailed me to ask what eating plan I am on, so I’ll share that I am using the HMR program.  It is basically a very low-fat, low-calorie eating plan.  Although I stay between 1200-1500 calories per day and less than 20g of fat, I get to eat a great volume of food.  Between the shakes, entrees, and fresh fruits/veggies, I eat every 2-3 hours and stay full. 

Every day I stir-fry veggies to go with my meals.  I’m posting a recipe for this simple, healthy side dish.  In the past, I would have made this with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.  I have found that the combination of cooking spray and chicken broth results in a dish that is just as tasty.  (Not to mention you will save 239 calories and 27g of fat!).  You can play with it and make it a million different ways by experimenting with the seasonings/sauces:

Stir-Fry Vegetables

  • 2 c. any mix of veggies (onion, carrots, red peppers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, snow peas, asparagus, etc.)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 c. chicken broth or water
  • Seasonings/sauces (soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, tomato sauce, spice blends, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, etc.)
  • Cooking spray

Preheat pan or wok over medium-high heat.  Chop veggies.  Spray pan with cooking spray.  Add veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Stir lightly and let caramelize for 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic and stir.  Thirty seconds later, add broth or water and quickly put on lid.  Let the veggies steam for 3-4 minutes.  Remove lid and add special seasonings or sauces.  Let cook for a minute or two and serve.

No comments: