Monday, November 10, 2008

Red Beans and Rice


Red Beans and Rice with Sausage is one of our favorite family meals. I have come across many recipes for this traditional cajun dish over the years. I've taken my favorite elements from several recipes and made this my own. To make a healthier version that is still just as tasty, I use skinless turkey sausage and brown rice. We like our food extra hot and spicy, but you can tame down this dish by reducing or elimiating the jalapenos.

This is also a very budget-friendly meal. I added up the cost of ingredients when I bought my groceries this morning at Wal-Mart. This recipe makes approximately six servings at .83 per person!

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. package skinless sausage, any flavor
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 T jalapenos, minced
1 can pinto beans
1 can red beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 T ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t. Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups cooked rice

Saute sliced sausage with olive oil in large pot for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos; saute one minute. Add undrained beans (mash slightly with fork before adding), ketchup, and both sauces. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 15-20 minutes or more. Serve over cooked rice with a side of cornbread.

Joanna Jones

No comments: