Friday, July 31, 2009

Maybe I Need To Stop Smiling At People

Why do I always meet weird people when I go shopping?   I had another strange interaction with a lady customer when I recently visited my local Old Navy to utilize my 30% off coupon

In typical Joanna form, I was scouring the clearance racks when I came upon the cutest little black jacket/blazer.  Since it was a jacket, I decided to try it on right there.  As I was admiring it’s fall cuteness in the full-length mirror, a middle-aged woman walked up to me and started telling me how much she liked it.  She went on. and on. and on.  I started to get the feeling that SHE wanted the jacket. 

She asked what size it was.  Yep, that’s just the size she needed.  She asked if there were any more on the clearance racks.  Nope, this was the only one!  She asked how much it cost.  It was marked down from $49.50 to $22.99.  I continued to think about whether I wanted it or not while she continued to stare and talk about how much she loved it.

Looking back, talking about the jacket’s undeniable cuteness probably wasn’t the best way for her to get me to take it off.  She should have told me it made me look fat!  But, I felt sorry for her.  It was painfully obvious that she wanted it, so despite the fact that I could have bought it for only $16.09 with my coupon, I took it off and gave it to her.

I didn’t find another jacket, but I did find a couple of shirts that ended up being $4.20, so it wasn’t a total wash.  And I discovered a new line of jeans that were MADE for me…The Dreamer.

image

Since it’s a new line, they haven’t gone on sale yet, so I’ll be patient.  It’s still too hot for jeans now anyway!

Anyway, when it was time for me to purchase my two shirts, I got in a long line that went halfway to the back of the store.  I decided it was worth the wait, so I entertained my bored and restless (and napless) 4-yr-old in line for about 20 minutes. 

It was finally our turn to be called to a register.  Just as I approached the cashier, I saw my lady-friend quickly duck under the rope barrier holding several pieces of clothing (including my black jacket).  She headed straight for me and began to show me her items while the cashier rang up my shirts.  Awkward. 

Then I realized what she was doing.  She didn’t want to wait in the long line, so she was making it appear that we were together.  I paid for my purchase and she started placing her items on the counter.  The cashier (good for her!) asked if she had waited in line.  The lady pointed at me and said, “We’re together.” I picked my jaw up off the floor, shook my head, and told the cashier that we were NOT together. 

Then the lady exclaimed, “But I’ve been standing with her for 10 minutes!”  (She had been standing next to me for approximately 43 seconds.)  The cashier (good for her!) informed the lady that she must go to the end of the line and wait just like all the other customers.  I took my purchase and left the counter, so I don’t know how it all ended, but the lady was still arguing and refusing to go to the end of the line when I walked out the door.

I hope she enjoys the black jacket.

9 comments:

jennifer said...

see? It is the Southern Belle in you! These stories are funny!

Mrs. Sprinkles said...

I can't believe the crazy people you run into!

Mimi said...

I'm so sorry, Honey, but you inherited that trait from me and your Daddy. It happens to us all the time. Like last week I pulled up to a gas pump, turned my engine off and was looking for my credit card when a lady pulled in front of me and started "talking quite loudly" at me. I asked her again what she said for I really couldn't believe what I thought she said. She said she was going to use that pump. (She may have seen it from afar, but she was no where near when I pulled in!) I took a split second and thought "What is the "so far as within me to be at peace with all men,' non-controversial thing to do that would bring Christ glory?" And I got back in my car and pulled around to the OTHER SIDE OF THE SAME PUMP and pumped my gas while she pulled into mine!!!

Unknown said...

That is hilarious. Good for you not letting her get away with it after she practically took the jacket off of you in the first place!

Julie said...

By the way the previous comment is left by Julie not Erik. Our email account comes up under his name.

Joanna J. said...

I didn't think that sounded like Erik! Somehow I get the feeling he doesn't read girly blogs in his free time. :)

Joanna J. said...

Mimi,
I can't wait to see what kind of people we meet when we go shopping together during your visit next week!

Audra said...

I think you need to be around your AL brother a little more. I'm sure you would have been showing off your new jacket to Todd at the end of the day :-). You are very sweet, very sweet indeed!

Anonymous said...

a) as i've blogged about in the past, i'm near-obsessed with jeans, so i'll be trying on "the dreamer" soon! i wear jeans year-round even when it's blisteringly hot in the midwest summer.

b) this story totally cracked me up! i can't believe a cashier at ON (no offense to any ON cashiers reading this) would do that...they're generally totally clueless around here.

c) i was pretty sure up to now that stuff like this only happened to me...glad to know i'm not alone!