Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kroger Coupon Event

I woke up around 3:15 this morning to get ready for my trip to Kroger’s coupon event.  For one day only, they doubled coupons up to and including $1.00.  Usually the doubling stops at $.50, so this was a great opportunity to use my higher value coupons.  It was also a great opportunity to see how I function on three hours of sleep. 

I had some coupons to print from the internet, some more to cut out from my circulars, and a game plan to write for how I would proceed through the store when it opened at 6:00.  There actually is an art to this…you plan to hit the highly advertised items first, along with any items that are part of a group special (i.e. buy four Kellogg’s products, get $4 rebate, etc.).  Then I go for grocery items, household items, and finally beauty items.

Anyway, I pulled in the parking lot at 5:30 and was surprised to see it mostly empty.  People started arriving a few minutes later and there was soon a line at the front door.  I joined the line and stood behind a large family with about ten kids ages 6-20.  The mom was fascinating.  She had paired off her kids in teams of two and handed them each an envelope with a detailed list and matching coupons.  I started talking to her and made a comment about how it must have been hard to get all of her kids up and organized this early in the morning.  She informed me that they had been up all night hitting the 24-hour Kroger stores to snatch up deals before the other stores opened at 6:00.  Now THAT’s dedication.  I guess if I had to feed a dozen people, I’d do the same thing.

Anyway, when the doors finally opened at 6:00, her kids grabbed shopping carts and branched out all over the store in teams.  They went straight for the really good deals and cleaned out a couple of things I was wanting to get.  But, I did pretty well and was satisfied with what I bought. 

My total before coupons was $242.11.  My total after Kroger savings and coupons was $83.27.  I even managed to include three Christmas presents in my total!  It took 3 1/2 hours, but it was so much fun!  I know, I need help…

The funny thing is that when I got home and showed my mom some of the deals I had scored, I turned around and went right back with her to see if some certain items I had bought for Christmas presents were still available…and they were!  I can’t believe I’m actually tired of shopping, but I am.  Actually, I’m just plain tired. 

So, I’ll make my way to bed now so I don’t make a scene by falling asleep in the choir loft tomorrow at church.  G’night, all!