Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father’s Day

We had a nice Father’s Day today.  We were asked to fill in for someone in the nursery during the early service, so that pretty much nixed my plans of making Todd a special breakfast!  Since we left the house at 7:40 a.m., daddy had to settle for a bowl of cereal. 

Todd and I were placed together in the classroom with the 2-, 3-, and 4-yr-olds.  There were 14 kids, and let me assure you that it was ca-RAY-zee.  The kids seemed to gravitate to Todd, and I desperately wish I had a picture of the panic in his eyes when I looked over and saw six kids hanging off of him at one point.  We acted more like referees than teachers for the majority of the time, but I must admit that it was highly entertaining.  Kids say the funniest things.  It makes me shudder to think what Grace might be saying to her teachers when I’m not there. 

Grace gave her daddy new swim trunks, cargo shorts, and flip flops.  Of course, when she gave him the swim trunks, she asserted, “Daddy, now you have to take me swimming!”  Even at this age, she’s attaching conditions to her acts of kindness. 

After church, we went to Larry and Joy’s home to cook out on their grill.  Todd enjoyed a big, thick, juicy T-bone steak.  The rest of us ate chicken or turkey breast.  Joy grilled an assortment of delicious veggies to go with our meat, and we had fruit salad with Cool Whip for dessert.  Yum!  From the moment we stepped in their door, Grace kept asking to go to bed, so after making her eat a little, we put her down for a nap and had some good, uninterrupted time to eat and fellowship.  After Grace woke up, Larry chased her and threw her around for a while (which she loves!).  After we had overstayed our welcome, we came home where Todd and Grace promptly fell asleep on the couch! 

I have many of the same feelings on Father’s Day that I have on Mother’s Day (see previous post), but I am happy to spend the day giving thanks for both the wonderful earthly father and perfect Heavenly Father that I have.  This is Todd’s second year without his father, so that is tough, but he enjoyed the fun we had today as a family worshipping and spending time with friends.

Regardless of whether a day focused on your father brings sadness or gladness, I hope that we all remember that we have a Father who never fails us. 

“See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are for this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.” (I John 3:1)

“Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.” (James 1:17)

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

Sounds like a good day overall. I teach the 2 and 3 year olds at our church - and on a busy day we have 8... which is challenging in itself. It truly is more about getting them to stop taking each other's toys than it is actually teaching them anything!