Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Joys of Motherhood

The past 24 hours have not been very glamorous.  Grace came down with a nasty case of strep throat.  After spending 2 1/2 hours of my life that I’ll never get back in an emergency clinic, holding a 4-yr-old with a 104 fever, I look back and think of the pre-baby nights where my biggest decision revolved around choosing between a book, a TV show, or a crossword puzzle.  Or maybe even enjoying a leisurely dinner at a restaurant with my husband.

But I’m not complaining.  Not at all.  This is what I asked for, and this is what I am so thankful for.  Granted, I had to remind myself several times last night while I was cleaning up the vomit at 3:00 in the morning, but I wouldn’t trade my current job for anything in the world!

Grace has been so sweet while she’s been sick.  She has taken her nasty medicine without complaining, even though the taste makes her shudder.  She has cuddled and been very affectionate.  She has been obedient and happy.  I must admit that although it hurts me to see her sick, I have enjoyed a quiet day with her.  We watched movies and read books and did puzzles and played the piano. 

I even managed to get in a good workout and do some yard work while Grace rested in the afternoon.  Thankfully, she is feeling much better.  Her fever has come way down and she has more energy.  The vomiting has stopped, but she’s not really eating yet.  She’s been good about drinking fluids, though.  Here’s hoping for an uninterrupted night!

But truthfully, I wouldn’t trade sleepless nights and vomit for ANYTHING.  She is such a joy to me!  She is a totally undeserved gift from God.  He didn’t have to give her to us…God would have been just as good and powerful and holy if He had not.

But I’m so grateful that He did.

No comments: